The largest event of the year is fast approaching in China. Chinese New Year is celebrated nationwide meaning businesses around the country will close, including our beloved factories. Workers from factories return to their families and celebrate the new year with their families.
Our customers have 2 key questions about CNY. When and how long will factories close for? How will this affect me and my business?
Chinese New Year 2016: When and how long will factories close for?
Chinese new year is from the 9th-13th of February this year. However, this does not mean factories close for these dates alone. Contrary to popular belief, factories close at different times and for different lengths within Chinese new year. One of our factories closes for more than a month! The below illustration shows this. Note how there is no particular pattern as you would expect for factory closures.
Our office is shown at the bottom from the 8th – 12th February.
Chinese New Year: How will this affect me and my business?
- Production and quotation timings: Production time will be delayed and quotations requested will be processed slowly due to slow feedback from factories.
- Planning: We suggest that you consider ordering early to prevent disappointment. Placing an order early can also minimize problems that might be caused when factories rush to produce your products and return from Chinese new year. We advise to take into account China public holidays in 2016 for the rest of the year to plan ahead post CNY.
- Staff: Remember that there is high turnover of factory workers who decide not to return to work after their long yearly holiday
- Production Backlogs: The later you place orders the later your orders will go to production. With 1 months worth of orders backed up, factories will process orders from their preferred partners first. Talk to us about using our leverage.
Knowing and planning around holiday dates is of the utmost importance for manufacturing in China.
Promotional Products for Asian Celebrations:
Need something produced for an Asian celebrations? Weddings, birthdays, and public holidays make great opportunity for marketing gifts. These items also make great corporate gifts for Chinese people, or Asian based businesses.
The timeless red packet, or 红包 is great for giveaways. Why not make it a branded red packet and broadcast your brand on an affordable, fast to produce item.
Another great item for this season is the red packet organizer. Fast to produce, and great for branding. We love these items for giveaways to compliment each other.
Check out our ever expanding portal on Chinese factory holidays. These blogs have more reading on Chinese new year so you can plan ahead and compare with previous years:
- Chinese new year 2015 – year of the goat
- Chinese new year 2012
- Promotional Gifts for CNY by Starbucks Hong Kong
Check out our old graph for when Chinese factories closed in 2012. Lots of Micro trends to analyse. What big differences do you see from the 2016 numbers?