Hong Kong and many of the factories and offices in S. China are closed today due to the arrival of Typhoon Nesat. ODM Hong Kong office is currently open, but with reduced staffing, in order to prepare some urgent projects for clients in Europe.
This is a screenshot of what every school child (and majority of office workers) want to see in the morning. The top left Signal 8 warning from the Hong Kong Observatory.
If you need to travel we suggest taking the MTR to your meetings. Prepare to pay well over normal rates for taxis due to fact that their insurance is voided if they decide to work during this time.
Here are a list of Precautionary Announcements with No. 8 Signal issued to HK residents.
1. Complete all precautions in your home. Lock all windows and doors, fit bars into position and insert reinforced shutters and gates if they are available. Adhesive tape fixed to large window-panes in exposed positions will reduce damage by broken glass. Storm water drains should be cleared of leaves and rubbish.
2. Do not stand near windows on the exposed side of your home. Move all furniture and valuables away from these areas. Make sure you have a safe place to shelter, should windows be broken.
3. Flights at Hong Kong International Airport may be affected by the weather. Please contact your airline for the latest flight information before departing for the airport.
4. Since seas are very rough, you are advised to stay away from the shoreline and not to engage in water sports.
5. Park your car where it is least likely to be damaged.
6. Please listen to radio or watch TV for the latest weather information broadcast at the 15th, 30th, 45th and 58th minute of each hour. You can also browse the Hong Kong Observatory’s web site for the information.