Because promotional umbrellas are so popular, the ODM group has recently taken the time to examine why this is and to familiarise ourselves with precisely what they have to offer.
By contacting numerous suppliers and undertaking much research, we have discovered that there are an abundance of new and unique variations of umbrellas on the market. Because of this, we feel that promotional umbrellas should be seen as an excellent marketing tool for businesses alike.
Continue reading to find out about our personal favourites that we have come across, the customisable options available and how they can be marketed effectively.
Our favourite promotional umbrellas
The Colour Changing Umbrella: This unique type of umbrella reacts to the weather around it. Depending on whether it is exposed to the rain or UV rays, the umbrella will change colours! Whilst very popular with children, this design is also suitable for men and women. This is a great way to add colour to an otherwise gloomy day!
The Luminated Umbrella: This umbrella uses a special type of fabric that activates at night. During the dark hours of the day, it will light up and shine for all to see. It is therefore ideal for use during the day as well as night, and also provides added safety at night. With this umbrella, you can be sure that your design or message will be seen throughout the day.
The Vegetable Umbrella: This kind of umbrella are very easy to carry and can be used to promote a healthy image for example. This particular umbrella was designed to mirror the colour change you see on spring onions. It is a very refreshing and vibrant design that is sure to grab people’s attention.
The Lovers Umbrella: This superb design is a fusion of two separate umbrellas that have come together to make one large one. With this design, two people will never have to fight for room under the umbrella again!
The Five Folding Umbrella: The smartness of this design is that it folds perfectly into a small and concise case. Perfect for the go when you don’t have a lot of space to work with. Additionally, there is plenty of room on the case for company logos and branding.
The Sports Umbrella: Baseball, golf, soccer, archery, you name the sport and an umbrella can be made to match. Perfect for sports companies looking to push their brand and keep to their industry. It’s also very suited to sports fans alike! If you are looking for more sports related items, be sure to look at our previous sports merchandise blogs.
The Children’s Umbrella: These umbrellas are designed specifically with children in mind. The materials used to make these are very safe and child friendly. The pester power that children possess can also be targeted here, which will be sure to drive up sales. Not only this, but providing a child with an umbrella with their favourite character or cartoon on it is sure to make them smile!
So these are our favourite designs of umbrella that we have seen. Using one of these designs to make your promotional umbrella is guaranteed to attract some attention. Combine your brand logo with them and suddenly you have a strong marketing tool at your disposal. But how exactly can these umbrellas be branded?
What are the different types of branding that can be used?
When it comes to branding umbrellas with your logo, there are numerous ways in which to do this. Here are the most popular and effective choices that we offer:
Silkscreen printing: Screen printing is a printing technique whereby a mesh is used to transfer ink onto a substrate, except in areas made impermeable to the ink by a blocking stencil.
The stencil forms open areas of mesh that transfer ink as a clear image. A roller or squeegee is moved across the screen stencil, forcing ink past the threads of the woven mesh in the open areas, and printing onto the layers underneath. There are a number of advantages to using screen printing:
- You can print on plastic, clothes, metals and many other materials.
- Good printing thickness for clear logos.
- Good light resistance. This method can be used for outdoor products, such as umbrellas.
- Able to print over big areas, up to 3-4 meters.
Heat Transfer printing: This type of printing involves transferring a desired pattern via heat onto a substrate. First, the print machine is heated to a certain temperature, before being pressed with a significant amount of pressure for a certain amount of time onto the umbrella. It is then simply released and your printing in complete! This way of printing holds a number of advantages:
- One of the primary benefits of a heat press machine when compared with other graphic printing devices is the speed with which businesses can produce finished products.
- Great for multicoloured printing.
- Photographic material can be pressed using this method.
- If in larger quantity, it is more cost effective than silk screen printing.
- The process is mess-free.
Heat printing allows you to reduce your setup time hugely. The only main concern is its cost as it is not as economical compared with other print methods for mass production.
Digital printing: The final method in which umbrellas can be printed on is digital printing. In digital printing, an image is sent directly to a printer using digital files such as PDFs from graphics software. The benefits of using digital printing are that:
- It has a much shorter turnaround than other methods.
- It eliminates the expense of plate-making and setting up the presses.
- It is easier to make last minute changes to a print job or print multiple variations.
- File preparation can be less complicated for those unfamiliar with commercial printing methods.
These are the 3 main ways in which you can brand your umbrella. They can all be fully customised to your branding requirements so it fits to your logo or company. Contact information can also be printed on the umbrella to help increasing brand awareness even further.
What handles can you choose from?
When it comes to the opening and closing mechanisms on umbrellas, there are two choices that you will be presented with. These are the classic manual opening and increasingly popular auto-open umbrella.
- Manual: The manual opening is the more commonplace option, and obviously it is the more cost effective option of the two.
- Automatic: The more modern approach to umbrellas handles is to have an auto-opening mechanism. Automatic umbrellas offer improved functionality over manual ones, and are a much higher end gift. They do come at an extra cost however.
The image to the right is an example of how an auto-open handle looks on an umbrella.
The latest trend in marketing umbrellas really is a customised handle though. When it comes to the design of handles, you have many more options in which to choose from. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and the image below shows just two of the options you can choose from.
In these cases, the umbrella handles have been designed to look like a samurai sword and a rabbit. A handle can be easily customised into different shapes, including bottles, guns and torches. It is even possible to change it in the mascot of your company or club. The bottom line is that there are many possibilities when it comes to the handle of your promotional umbrella. They can really make your promotional umbrella stand out from others.
Now that we have acclimatized ourselves with umbrellas and their designs, lets discuss how these can be marketed to your customers.
Ways in which a promotional umbrella can be marketed
- Gift with purchase: Gift with purchase umbrella promotions will help to boost sales, which is crucial to every company! By offering an umbrella with the original purchase, they are more inclined to go for your product compared to an item that does not have a gift. This will definitely increase the sales revenue generated for the company and will lead to greater profits. Furthermore, a free gift allows customers to feel valued and appreciated by the brand.
- Promotional Giveaway: You can really leave a lasting impression on the minds of your clients and employees by giving them promotional items in giveaways. Your guests, clients, customers and employees would surely remember the great umbrella that you give them during promotional events. Whilst it may not be a way to bring in revenue in the short term, customers will be delighted at receiving a promotional gift with no complications. You can be sure that they will remember your brand for future reference with this method.
- Social Media Giveaway: Using a promotional umbrella to obtain a ‘like’ or a ‘follow’ on social media can have number of positive effects on your business. When customers subsequently follow your business, they are more likely to buy from you when they need the products you sell. Liking or following your company provides customers with a constant exposure to your brand. Through this, it keeps your company’s name in front of other potential buyers.
What are the benefits of a promotional umbrella?
- Brand recognition: As we have highlighted above, umbrellas offer fantastic opportunities for branding. These branded umbrellas can essentially be used as free walking advertisements for your company. Since umbrellas can be carried around anywhere, even overseas, your brand name will be exposed to huge numbers of people. Out of curiosity to what information is printed on the umbrella, people may even go closer for a better look. An umbrella is a guaranteed way in which to increase you brand recognition.
- Practicality: Umbrellas are an essential item when it comes to unforeseen weather. As a result, people have high-perceived value of umbrellas as marketing gifts. As umbrellas are handy products that everyone would definitely get use out of, people feel that companies who give umbrellas are generous with their gifts. This encourages customers to hold positive connotations towards your brand.
- Customer retention: Consistently being exposed to your brand name is likely to have an impact on the customer when it comes to using your company in the future. Having a durable umbrella will aid brand recollection when they are in need of something that your company offers.
The fact of the matter is that umbrellas can and will be used by anyone and everyone. There is no substitution for this product, and we will always find a use for them in good or bad weather. With summer approaching and winter weather at the moment, why not sort offer an umbrellas as one of your promotions now? So why not get your brand on a promotional umbrella so it is out there and seen by others?
Minimum Order Quantities
In most cases, the minimum order quantity for these promotional umbrellas ranges from 1,000 – 3,000 depending on designs.
Here at ODM, we have significant experience in product design, product sourcing and product manufacturing. We can help you utilise your 2016 marketing budget in an effective manner. Be sure to check out our ever-expanding gift with purchase portal in order to find out more case studies.
If you are interested in custom umbrellas, don’t hesitate to contact ODM and ask for quotation with a reference to the code below:
967, 968, 969, 970, 971, 972
Check out our other blogs related to promotional umbrellas: