At Mindsparkz, our team of inventors constantly brainstorms to come up with new ideas for products and how to improve on existing ideas. Some examples Lost-Key system, 4-in-1 Cupholder, Penfan, Coolzee etc.
Brainstorming is important, using a group of creativity techniques designed to generate a large number of creative ideas for the solutions to a problem. There are 4 basic rules to keep in mind while brainstorming:
1. Focus on quantity:
- Enhancing divergent production
- Aiming to facilitate problem solving through the maxim- quantity breeds quality.
- The greater the number of ideas generated, the greater the chance of producing a radical and effective solution.
2. Withhold criticism:
- Criticism of ideas generated should be put on hold
- Focus on extending or adding to ideas, reserving criticism for a later stage of the process.
- With suspension of judgments, participants will feel free to generate unusual ideas.
3. Welcome unusual ideas:
- Get a long list of ideas, including the unusual ones.
- Looking from new perspectives and suspending assumptions.
- New ways of thinking might provide better solutions.
4. Combine and improve ideas:
- Good ideas may be combined to form a single better good idea
A good thinking process is crucial for inventors to get their inspiration; hence they may adopt an unusual thinking strategy. Don’t forget to use invention tools, games, proven methods and having one key person to give the brainstorming session some direction.