Aluminium bottles and containers are very popular product packaging options for storing cosmetics and perfumes. The pros of opting for aluminium bottles is that they are light but strong. Also, aluminum is safe to store cosmetics solutions. In addition, they have a design and aesthetic appeal as the metallic appearance of the packaging gives it a very premium and classy feel. However, there are also some points to look out for when manufacturing aluminium bottles.
Manufacturing Aluminium Bottles
The bottles are made of aluminium alloy, which means that the metal will not rust and is resistant to corrosion. However, the alloy can be oxidised when exposed to water, where a layer of aluminum oxide will form on the surface. This layer protects the bottle from further corrosion.
There are a few ways that aluminium bottles can be coated:
Aluminum can be coated through the process of anodising which is an electrolytic process that thickens the oxide layer on the surface. Remember learning about electrolysis in chemistry class in school? Anodising is achieved that way. The protective barrier of hydrated oxide formed is highly resistant to corrosion. They are also durable and hard, making them more resistant to abrasion and corrosion.
During anodising, the bottles are placed in an acid electrolyte bath where there is an electric current. Anodisation is like controlled oxidation but there is no negative effects.
Epoxy is an organic coating that is sprayed in the interior of the aluminium bottle. They are relatively chemically inert and also have a stronger resistance to corrosion than anodising.
This is the process of how epoxy-coated aluminium bottles are manufactured in factories:
- Frying Aluminium Ingots
- Cold Extrusion
- Polishing and Trimming
- Cleaning and Drying
- Inner Coating
- Base Coating
- Offset printing
Here is a video of the manufacturing process of the aluminium bottles.
Comparison of the Two Techniques
- Anodising: There is a variety of colours to choose from. The colour can be achieved through metal dyes during the anodising process. Paint is not needed, hence, it is a cheaper option of colouring.
- However, a concern with colouring will be the inconsistency. This is because the anodized coating is translucent and the base metal can be seen under the coating, hence, the colours may vary between bottles.
- Epoxy: the exterior is painted and there is better colour consistency.
- Anodising: the bottle has a richer metallic appearance than using Epoxy or other organic coatings.
- Epoxy: paint is used. It can have a matte or glossy finish. However, a downfall of using paint is that it can be scratched, which may ruin the appearance of the bottle. The aluminium alloy is exposed and may form rust.
- Anodising: you can produce it at a smaller quantity.
- Epoxy or other organic coatings: a very high minimum order quantity is needed for a fully automated production. A semi-automatic production can be done for smaller order quantities, however, there can be some inconsistency with the finished product.
Resistance to Corrosion
Both coating options are very resistant to corrosion. However, Epoxy has a stronger resistance than anodised aluminium.
Telling the difference between the two coatings:
Anodised aluminium bottle has a more metallic appearance than an organically-coated bottle.
With an anodised bottle, the coating could not be peeled off as it is part of the metal. Whereas, with the Epoxy-coated bottle, the paint will be scratched off.
Overall, aluminium bottles make great premium packaging for cosmetics. When considering the coating option for manufacturing aluminium bottles, you have to consider the cost, quantity, quality, and appearance of the bottles.
How ODM can help:
At ODM, we specialize in product development, product sourcing, product sampling, manufacturing, and marketing. So if you are keen to promote your brand with effective custom promotional products and other highly effective promotional products, contact The ODM Group. Our talented team of merchandisers and product designers are here to help you out.
If you want to learn about manufacturing, do check out these blogs:
Other Relevant Blogs:
China is a great place to manufacture promotional products. Here are 4 reasons why you should consider manufacturing in China:
Many companies prefer to manufacture products in China due to low manufacturing and production costs. Read this blog to know more about manufacturing in China.
It is advised to have a buying agent when sourcing in China. Read this blog to find out why:
At ODM, we have factory visits to make sure that the manufacturing process is up to standards. Recently, one of our staff visited a factory that specialises in wine accessories.
ODM manufactures lots of POS Displays for clients. We ensure that the final product is near perfection. One area we have to ensure perfection is colour brand printing. We visited a printing supplier in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam to check with printing.
With manufacturing promotional products, one should also consider the printing method. Read this blog to find out the difference between heat transfer and sublimation.