Plastic materials can be any of a wide range of synthetic or semi-synthetic organic solids used in the manufacture of industrial products. In terms of promotional products made of plastics, the type of plastics used are mainly are
- Polyester (PES) – Mainly used in textiles
- Polyethylene (PE) – Supermarket bags and plastic bottles
- Polypropylene (PP) – Bottle caps, drinking straws, containers, plush toy fillings
- Polystyrene – Food containers, plastic tableware, disposable cups, plates, cutlery
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) – ODM’s Octopus Suction Coolie
When it comes to hard plastic, acrylic and polycarbonate (PC) are the two main plastics used.
Acrylic – Popular Use:
- Motorcycle helmet visors
- Helicopter windows, submarine windows
- Spectator protection in an ice hockey arena
Check out some case studies for Acrylic POS Displays and promotional products
- Less impact resistance
- Less likely to scratch.
- Does not turn yellow after time
- Better clarity. Acrylic can be restored to optical clarity by polishing.
- Compact discs, DVDs
- Lighting lenses, sunglass lenses, safety glasses,
- automotive headlamp lenses
- Drinking bottles
Key characteristics of Polycarbonate
- Resistance towards impact / chipping
- More likely to scratch
- More costly
- Used mainly for industry applications
- Yellows over time
- Easier to work with in terms of cutting as they are less likely to break
- Poorer clarity, diffuses light, can lighten (could be positive)
Not sure which plastic to use for your next production? Contact us and will have experience advises coming along!