We chanced upon this cool Suica stall in a metro station in Tokyo, and we can’t get enough of their custom retail merchandise! When our staff last visited Japan, we could not pass up the chance to go and check out all the “kawaii” products inside!
The Pasmo or Suica card is a smart card used for travel on subways, trains, and buses. It’s a rechargeable prepaid card that also functions as a stored value card, meaning Suica card holders can use it to pay for small purchases.
They have a small shop with lots of Pensta-inspired products that are really eye-catching and irresistible. Pensta is their penguin mascot popular all over Japan. We spotted penguin stationery products, branded ceramic cups and mugs, plush wallets, and a penguin Point of sales display. These are really awesome products and we believe other brands can learn a thing or two from Suica.
Suica Custom Retail Merchandise – What Makes Them Unique
What we really like about their exclusive merchandise is the use of their mascot to further improve their visibility and market reach. As such, Suica was able to touch a wider range of consumers- from young school children to working adults. Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Custom POS Display: Greeting buyers is a Pensta POS display. It’s a great addition to the shop since it’s remarkable. Also, we noticed tourists/travelers who dropped by their shop would go and take a snap of their display, proof that they’ve been to Japan and found this adorable mascot. Supposing some of them uploaded their photos to social media, this could gain the brand unlimited brand exposure online.
- Branded Cups and Wooden Tray: What makes them stand out? Great combination and logo placement on products. Customers get exposed to the brand with daily use.
- Custom fan: We also found a pink folding fan with polka dot and Pensta prints. Great for hot weather, travelers can cool off with these custom-printed fans. It’s practical and easy to carry. And this means visibility inside public transport where there are lots of people.
Other Novelty Items We Spotted Inside the Shop
- Stickers, Necktie, and Keychains: Cute custom stickers and little keychains with penguin design are popular among students. Keychains function as a decorative item for their bags/purse and as a key holder. Pensta printed neckties come in two different colors and are a fantastic fashion item for kids. Such decorative pieces are not only eye catching but are also increasing brand engagement.
- Custom Mugs and Tumblers: A gift-ready custom drinking cup and glass sets are nicely designed. Their beautiful custom retail packaging are certainly driving impulse purchase.
- Beautiful Stationery Products: Great for school and office use, stationery products are a simple way to get your brand into the hands of your target market.
Why Suica’s Marketing Strategy is a Hit?
Suica has been winning a lot of local and international fans due to its fantastic line of stored value card merchandise. We absolutely love all the visual elements in their shop.
Their signature brand colors are evident in their product designs, store, and brand packaging design. Products are neatly displayed on shelves and the LED light signage looks lively and easy to spot from afar, compelling commuters to stop by and make a purchase.
Like these ideas? Get in touch with our design team, Mindsparkz to learn about how we can help you create meaningful product designs for your business. Or speak with The ODM Group today! Our friendly staff will be more than happy to assist.
For more design and marketing inspiration, we listed some of our favorite blogs below. Do check them out!
Check out Line’s colorful merchandise! Learn how the brand utilized the end of gondola to showcase their merchandise:
This blog shares some tips on designing custom shaped bags:
Spotted these silicone phone cases at Canton Fair. Fun designs stood out at the trade show.
Finally, check Out Nickelodeon’s cool TV merchandise: