Usually mistaken as a sticker – A decal or transfer is a plastic, cloth paper or ceramic substrate that has printed on it a pattern that can be moved to another surface upon contact. This is usually with the aid of heat or water.
Different variations of decal logos
“Water-Slide” / “Water-Dip”; and “Vinyl Peel-and-Stick”:
A water-slide decal is screen-printed on a layer of water-soluble adhesive on a water-resistant paper, which must first be dipped in water prior to its application.
Upon contact with water, the glue is loosened and the decal can be removed from its backing; overly long exposure, however, dissolves the glue completely causing the decal to fail to adhere. A “peel-and-stick” decal is actually not a decal as described above, but a vinyl sticker with adhesive backing, that can be transferred by peeling off its base.
Decals are commonly used on hot rod automobiles, plastic models and stainless steel container. Before we into more details, here are 2 examples of decal logos.
Here is a great example of Decal logo being applied to Glassware:
The advantages of a decal logo:
- Easily hand operated and zero investment on equipment
- The logo will be vivid in colour and not easy to peel off after burning. Great for a metal product since screen-printing is not suitable for those types of products.
- The decal’s cover coat is flexible and can be stretched to better fit the product – a great way to put a logo on irregular shape of plastic or metal products
The disadvantages of decals & decal logo:
- Potential defects if workers are not well trained or working under bad weather conditions.
- The logo positions are not precise – placements are hand made and therefore difficult to control. What is acceptable to a factory worker might not be acceptable to marketing people of a brand. Quality control is a must on all orders – all the more so with decals.
Process points of water-slide or water-dip decal:
1. Immerse decal in clean water or 50 to 100 seconds, then remove and allow setting for at least one minute. Paper will lay flat and the decal will easily slide from the backing.
2. Slide the decal off the backing paper about 1/2″. Hold the decal with your fingertips (lightly) against the ceramic or product and slide the backing paper out from under the decal with the other hand.
3. Squeeze excess air and water bubbles from under the decal with the edge of a piece of cardboard or soft damp cloth, working from the centre of the decal to the edges. Allow 2 hours or so to dry.
4. Fire with kiln well-ventilated until after smoking stops. Then close kiln and fire on the right temperature.
Cooling generally takes 3 to 6 hours before unloading the kiln, depending on the size and type of kiln and type of product being fired.
Interested in decal design? Check out these related blogs:
This blog guides you through printing methods such as heat transfer, sublimation, screen printing, foil stamping, acid etching, embossing, and debossing. Knowing the pros and cons of these printing methods will take your promotional products to the next level!
Another great blog looking in depth into the various advantages and disadvantages of silkscreen printing and heat transfer. This will allow you to choose the perfect printing method for your brand.
Prints outside of umbrellas can be found everywhere, but have you ever seen an umbrella with printed interior? Check out this amazing custom printed umbrella by Aguila utilizing inside heat printing. This unique promotional product is sure to be popular with your customers!
Hello Kitty’s custom stickers are another great example of a branded decal.
No matter what your brand sells, a purchase with purchase promotion is always a good idea. Check out this blog on why this is the case
How we can help you
Want a custom decal for you brand! Well, you are in the right place! ODM is experienced in designing, sourcing, and manufacturing custom promotional products. Our team of talented in-house product designers can design the perfect custom decal for you. We also offer product brainstorming sessions to come up with the best range of promotional products for you! Drop us an inquiry today to find out more about how we can help your brand!