With the Rio 2016 Olympics in full swing, McDonald’s partnered up with the Japanese communication app Line for a Gift With Purchase campaign with Happy Meals. With every Happy Meal comes a free toy: one of the six Line mascots depicted as athletes. China always sends many athletes to the Olympics, and given China’s Medal count, the Olympics are very popular.
There are six collectible plastic figurines: three bear figurines and three rabbits. The sports depicted are popular sports in China: (from left to right) gymnastics, volleyball, athletics, table tennis and swimming. The white rabbit in the middle is holding the winner’s cup. Next to that, customers can collect a plastic sports track to organise the figurines on to.
Having giveaways with limited edition items will offer a boost in sales and increase brand recognition. Happy Meals are targeted at children, so the figurines look attractive to children, but they might not be bothered by either Line or the Olympics.
By combining Line and McDonald’s with one of the biggest sports event of the world, adults are also targeted. They are more likely to use Line and are interested in watching the Olympics. Secondly, customers who are enthusiastic about these products will subconsciously further promote these products by showing it to their friends.
Why do we like this Gift With Purchase idea?
- Incentivise Customers: Considering McDonald’s is quite a large company, there will be many additional potential clients. Not only are these targeting Children, but Happy Meal’s also attract Adults too. Customers who received the figurines might tell their friends who are also a fan of the Olympics and the Line mascots, further expanding the target audience.
- Brand Awareness: The Olympics are always a big event. When linking this product to such an event, customers will easily connect the brands together. By using a couple of the most popular sports in Olympics, customers will be more motivated to collect the figurines.
- Brand logo is well placed: The use of Line’s mascots helps customers remember the brands from the campaign. The characters (the bear and rabbit) are ‘cute’ looking, so they are both appealing to younger customers who will use the figurines as toys, as well as adult customers who use Line and are familiar with the mascots.
If this idea sparked your interest about creating your own Gift with Purchase, please contact us for more information and ideas! Below are links to other interesting blogs about Gift with Purchase products:
- Hello Kitty GWP By McDonalds China
- Promotional Gift by Lee Kum Kee – Soy Sauce Dispenser
- Gift with Purchase by Macy’s: Philosophy Gift Set